When talking about mold, at first you think you have a pretty solid grasp of what it is. Some strange, growing organism that pops up in all of the humid areas of the world. Sometimes in the form of moss on a rock or on the whole wheat bread that you bought about two weeks ago. It’s also found in the form of water stains and what looks to be bland abstract paintings using orange, white, black and green circles.
If you think about these when you first hear the word mold, you’re absolutely right. They’re all different species of the many forms of mold in our world. However, the dangers and side effects that come with it are largely unknown by the average person.
What is it?
For starters, WHAT is mold? Mold is a living organism. When stimulated by warm and damp conditions, the rapid development of mold begins. The word “mold” itself is a term for a cluster of fungi that are generally on food or damp materials. People with recent water damage, that live in high humidity areas or have felt the dampness in their home, are more susceptible to the spread of mold.
Current studies show that about 50 to 100 everyday indoor mold varieties have the ability to produce possible health problems. Some countries classify indoor fungi into 3 hazard classes, based on associated health risk. These reflect risk sets appointed to microorganisms controlled in laboratory environments.
- Hazard Class A – Requires immediate action. Fungi or its products that are extremely harmful to our health. These metabolites shouldn’t exist within occupied dwellings.
- Hazard class B – Fungi that possibly produce allergic reactions to dwellers if present indoors over time.
- Hazard Class C – Fungi known to not be dangerous to our health.
Stachybotrys Chartarum or more the commonly known, toxic black mold, have the ability to release spores while it nourishes itself on organic such as carpet, drywall, sub-flooring or insulation exposed to moisture for a period of time. If inhaled or ingested, these spores can create a range of nasty and sometimes hazardous symptoms in humans.
What are some health effects for those exposed to mold?
Most common black mold symptoms coincide with a respiratory response. The effects and symptoms of mold exposure to individuals in indoor environments are a relatively recent concern.
Typical symptoms of a mold reaction:
- Runny nose, congestion or difficulty breathing
- Red, itchy or watery eyes
- Skin rashes
You should see a doctor if you think that you or someone you know is experiencing health problems from an unknown source as it might be mold exposure. Black mold health effects can be even more dangerous. Generally, symptoms mix with the allergic reaction to the black mold spores and can include vomiting, bleeding of the nose or lungs and nausea.
The people at the greatest risk of health effects are those with a weakened immune system, allergies, sinusitis, or asthma and other lung diseases. Further study is ongoing to comprehend exactly how mold impacts humans. Showing us just how little we still understand about this strange organism.
Understanding these health effects and mold will assist you and your loved ones to pinpoint the signs and react quickly in order to protect not only your health but the health of your home as well.
So this means that all mold is bad then, right?
Quite the contrary! Actually, mold is natural to the environment and acts as an important part of the ecosystem of our world decompose organic matter such as dead trees, leaves, etc. An estimated over 100,000 different types of mold species exist globally (that we know of), with at least 1,000 different types of mold being common in the United States.
Mold can be used to make cheese, yogurt, and other foods. Penicillin and other antibiotics are also made using molds. It is in just about every type of environment, including your home and office. The next time you spot mold, don’t wait until its too late. With no hesitation, call CEO Restoration! (407) 584-7779